Hello, my name is Michail Fragkias and here you can find information about my academic work…
(Καλησπέρα! Ονομάζομαι Μιχάλης Φραγκιάς και σε αυτή την ιστοσελίδα θα βρείτε πληροφορίες για την ακαδημαϊκή δουλειά μου…)
I’m an applied economist (and, more widely, an interdisciplinary social scientist) working broadly on issues of urbanization, land use and the environment. I currently hold the position of Assistant Professor at the Department of Economics at Boise State University‘s College of Business and Economics. I research issues of urbanization and sustainability, exploring overlapping areas of economic geography, urban/environmental economics, land change science, applied econometrics, institutional economics, and urban political economy.
I’ve published work in journals spanning several disciplines: International Journal of Urban and Regional Research; Computers, Environment and Urban Systems; Global Environmental Change; Urban Climate; PLoS ONE; PNAS; Remote Sensing; Landscape Ecology; and Environment and Planning B. I have served as a lead author in large assessment reports including the UN-CBD Cities and Biodiversity Outlook and the 3rd National Climate Assessment of the US Global Change Research Program (published in 2014). I’ve also been a Contributing Author for the IPCC 5th Assessment Report.
Past work: Between November of 2006 and August of 2012, I served as the Executive Officer of the Urbanization and Global Environmental Change (UGEC) – an IHDP Core Project, hosted by the Global Institute of Sustainability, Arizona State University. From September 2003 to September 2006, I was a Postdoctoral scholar at the Center for Environmental Science and Policy (CESP), then housed at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford University. CESP is now part of the university’s Woods Institute for the Environment. I hold a Ph.D. in Economics (May 2004) from Clark University.
Social networks and Blogs
You can email me at email@example.com or connect with me through social media listed below!
If you can read Greek, check out my blogposts at The Reality Tape, Anamorfosi and Anamorfosi blog.
Below is an indicative list of my publications and links to full-text articles. You can find aggregate statistics about my work in Google Scholar.
- Boone, C. and M. Fragkias (Eds), (2013), Urbanization and Sustainability: Linking urban ecology, environmental justice, and global environmental change, Springer
- Elmqvist, T., Fragkias, M., Goodness, J., Guneralp, B., Marcotullio, P., McDonald, R., Parnell, S., Sendstad, M., Schewenius, M., Seto, K.C., Wilkinson, K. (Eds.), (2013), Urbanization, biodiversity and ecosystem services: challenges and opportunities, Springer
Peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters (published, forthcoming and in review)
- Mason, S.G. and Fragkias, M., (in review), Metropolitan planning organizations and climate change action
- Güneralp, B., Zhou, Y., Ürge‐Vorsatz, D., Gupta, M., Yu, S., Patel, P., Fragkias, M., Li, X. Seto, K.C. (R&R), Global scenarios of urban form and its impacts on building energy use through 2050
- Fragkias, M. and Boone, C.G., (in review), Urban transitions to sustainability: lessons from contemporary political economy
- Fragkias, M., Islam, S., Sprague, C., (R&R), Teleconnected urban social-ecological systems and resilience
- Fragkias, M. (forthcoming, 2017), Karen C. Seto, In Koch, R. and Latham, A. (eds) Key Thinkers on Cities. London: Sage.
- Fragkias, M., Lobo, J., Seto, K.C., (2016), A comparison of nighttime lights data for urban energy research: Insights from scaling analysis in the US system of cities, Environment and Planning B, doi: 10.1177/0265813516658477
- Fragkias, M. (2016) Urbanization, economic growth and sustainability, The Routledge Handbook of Urbanization and Global Environmental Change, Seto, K.C., Solecki, W. and Grifith, C.A. (Eds), Routlegde [pdf copy]
- Solecki, W.D., Seto, K.C., Balk D., Bigio, A., Boone, C.G., Creutzig, F., Fragkias, M., et al. (2015) A conceptual framework for an urban areas typology to integrate climate change mitigation and adaptation, Urban Climate, 14(1), 116-137
- Schwarz, K., Fragkias, M., Boone, C.G., et al., (2015) Trees grow on money: urban tree canopy cover and environmental justice, 10(4): e0122051. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0122051
- Wentz, E., Anderson, S., Dell’Acqua, F., Fragkias, M., Netzband, M., Mesev, V., Myint, S., Quattrochi, D., Rahman, A., Seto, K., (2014) Supporting global environmental change research: a review of trends and knowledge gaps in urban remote sensing, Remote Sensing, 6(5), 3879-3905. doi:10.3390/rs6053879
- Solecki, W., Cutter, S.L., Bragado, N., Carmin, J., Fragkias, M., Ruth, M., Wilbanks, T. (2014) Urban systems, infrastructure and vulnerability, US Global Change Research Program, 3rd National Climate Assessment, Washington, DC
- Boone, C.G., Fragkias, M., Buckley, G.L., Grove, J.M., (2014) A long view of polluting industry and environmental justice in Baltimore, Cities, 36, 41-49
- Fragkias, M., Guneralp, B., Seto, K.C., Goodness, J. (2013) A synthesis of global urbanization projections, In Elmquist T. et al. (Eds), Urbanization, biodiversity and ecosystem services, Springer
- Guneralp, B., McDonald, R.I., Fragkias, M., et al. (2013) Urbanization forecasts, effects on land use, biodiversity and ecosystem services, In Elmquist T. et al. (Eds), Urbanization, biodiversity and ecosystem services, Springer
- Elmqvist, T., Fragkias, M., Goodness, J. et al. (2013) Stewardship of the biosphere in the urban era, In Elmquist T. et al. (Eds), Urbanization, biodiversity and ecosystem services, Springer
- Heinrichs, D., Krellenberg, K., Fragkias, M. (2013) Urban responses to climate change: theories and governance practice in cities of the Global South, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 37(6), 1865–1878
- Fragkias, M., Lobo, J., Strumsky, D., Seto, K.C., (2013) Does size matter? Scaling of CO2 emissions and U.S. urban areas, PLoS ONE 8(6): e64727. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064727
- Boone, C.G. and Fragkias, M., (2013) Connecting environmental justice, sustainability and vulnerability, In Boone, C.G and M. Fragkias (Eds), Urbanization and Sustainability: Linking Urban Ecology, Environmental Justice and Global Environmental Change, Berlin, Springer
- Fragkias, M., Boone, C.G., (2013) Towards a new framework for urbanization and sustainability, In Boone, C.G and M. Fragkias (Eds), Urbanization and Sustainability: Linking Urban Ecology, Environmental Justice and Global Environmental Change, Berlin, Springer
- Seto, K.C., Reenberg, A., Boone, C.G, Fragkias, M., Haase, D., Langanke, T., Marcotullio, P., Munroe, D.K., Olah, B., Simon, D., (2012) Urban land teleconnections and sustainability, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- Rogers, D., Duraiappah, A., Antons, D.C., Munoz, P., Bai, X., Fragkias, M., Gutscher, H., (2012), A vision for human well-being: transition to social sustainability, Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 4, 61-73
- Seto, K.C., Fragkias, M., Guneralp, B., and M.K. Reilly, (2011) A Meta-Analysis of Global Urban Land Expansion, PLoS one(available August 18, 2011)
- Heinrichs D., R. Aggarwal, J. Barton, E. Bharucha, C. Butsch, M. Fragkias, P. Johnston, F. Kraas, K. Krellenberg, J. Vogel, A. Lampis, G. L. Ooi, (2011), Adapting Cities to Climate Change: Opportunities and Constraints, In Cities and Climate Change: Responding to an Urgent Agenda. Publication from the Fifth Urban Research Symposium, D. Hoornweg, M. Freire, M. J. Lee, P. Bhada-Tata, B. Yuen (Eds), World Bank.
- Seto, K.C., Sanchez-Rodriguez, R. and M. Fragkias (2010), The new geography of contemporary urbanization and the environment, Annual Reviews of Environment and Resources, 35: 167–194
- Fragkias, M. and Geoghegan, J. (2010) Commercial and industrial land use change, job decentralization and growth controls: a spatially-explicit analysis, Journal of Land Use Science, 5 (1), 45-66
- Fragkias, M. and Seto, K. C. (2009), Evolving rank-size distributions for intra-metropolitan urban clusters in South China, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. Volume 33, Issue 3, Pages 189-199 [DOI Link]
- Fragkias, M. and Seto, K.C., (2008) Urban land-use change, models, uncertainty and policymaking in rapidly growing developing-world cities: evidence from China, In: R.J. Aspinall and M.J. Hill (Editors). Land use change: science, policy and management. CRC Press, New York. pp. 139-160
- Seto, K.C. and Fragkias, M., (2007) Mangrove Conversion and Aquaculture Development in Vietnam: A Remote Sensing-Based Approach for Evaluating the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands, Global Environmental Change, Volume 17, Issues 3-4, (August-October), Pages 486-500 [DOI Link]
- Fragkias, M. and Seto, K.C., (2007) Modeling urban growth in data-sparse environments: a new approach, Environment and Planning B, Volume 34, Issue 5, Pages 858 – 883 [DOI Link]
- Seto, K. C., Fragkias, M., and Schneider, A., (2007) 20 Years After Reforms: Challenges to Planning and Development in China’s City-Regions and Opportunities for Remote Sensing, in Applied Remote Sensing for Urban Planning, Governance and Sustainability, Redman, C., Stefanov, W., and Netzband, M., eds. Springer-Verlag.
- Seto, K.C. and Fragkias, M. (2005) Quantifying spatiotemporal patterns of urban land-use change in four cities of China with time series landscape metrics, Landscape Ecology, Volume 20, Issue 7, 871-888 [DOI Link]
Selected conference proceedings and other publications
- A. K.Duraiappah, C. Scherkenbach, P. Munoz, X. Bai, M. Fragkias, H. Gutscher and L.
Neskakis (2012) RIO+20 POLICY BRIEF #6 Human well-being for a planet under pressure, Transition to social sustainability
- Fragkias, M. and K.C. Seto (2012) The rise and rise of urban expansion, Global Change, Vol. 78
- Fragkias, M. (2010) Towards a science of urban adaptation to climate change, UGEC Viewpoints, Issue 4
- Heinrichs, D. et al. (2009) Adapting cities to climate change: opportunities and constraints (findings from eight cities), 5th Urban Research Symposium, Marseilles, France, June 2009
- Simon, D. and Fragkias, M. (2008) The dynamic relationship between cities and global environmental change, Urban Researchers’ Roundtable on Cities and Climate Change, Fourth World Urban Forum (WUF4), Nanjing, China, 5 November 2008
- Fragkias, M., (2008) Connecting global environmental change to environmental justice: The critical role of cities and good urban governance, Re-public: re-imagining democracy, http://www.re-public.gr/en
- Seto, K.C. and Fragkias, M. (2008) Using Satellite Remote Sensing to Evaluate the Effectiveness of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands, The Earth Observer (NASA), 20 (1), January – February 2008, 7-15
- Fragkias, M., (2007) Institutional responses of cities to global environmental change, UGEC International Working Paper Series, October 2007, WP07-04 [ISSN: 1935-9160]
- Fragkias, M., (2007) Interactions and responses to Global Environmental Change (GEC) and their implications for human security in urbanized coastal zones – a synthesis, IHDP UPDATE Newsletter, Focus: “The Implications of Global Environmental Change for Human Security in Coastal Urban Areas”, Issue 2, October 2007, [ISSN 1727-155X]
- Fragkias, M., (2006) Urban modeling, global environmental change, and policymaking in developing-world cities, IHDP UPDATE Newsletter, Focus: Urbanization and Global Environmental Change, Issue 2, February 2006, [ISSN 1727-155X]
- Fragkias, M. and Seto, K.C. (2005) Modeling urban growth in data-sparse environments: a new approach, presented at CUPUM05, June 2005
- Seto, K.C. and Fragkias, M. (2005) Modeling urban land-use change in rapidly developing regions: what’s the policy relevance?, presented at the 6th Open Meeting of the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change Research Community (IHDP-GEC), University of Bonn, October 2005.